Friday 1 November 2013

Spinning benchmarks.

Technically, today is a holiday - but I am planning to sneak some textile-related, not entirely non-work into my day. Such as finally working some more on that hairnet that is not quite finished, but coming along nicely. And some more spinning.

Speaking of which - I have tried out a new spinning technique that I finally got to understand well enough to give it a go the day before yesterday. It's the one described in Kathelyne's blog (hint: I watched the videos, and that's what made it click for me).

I am absolutely, utterly in love with that technique, so much that I spent quite a bit of time spinning yesterday. This morning, I made a benchmark test similar to the spinning tests I did before - I have not looked at the spinning angle yet, but I have managed to spin 18 m of thread in half an hour, with high twist. That's not too bad for a technique that I started out with just two days ago, and I have quite a bit of hope that speeding it up a bit more will be possible...

3 comments:

Miriam said...

I love the technique too. Experiment to see how quickly you can progress to being able to walk and spin. In my experience it is very quick.

Arachne said...

It's so funny - I haven't kept up with your blog for quite some time, and now when I sift through old posts I realise that we both must have started with the hand-held spindle/distaff technique almost simultaneously! :-)

I came back from the Ronneburg event in September and had finally had enough of "not spinning like they do in all the manuscripts", found Kathelyn's blogs and off I went!

After about 50 grams of spun thread I feel that I handle it well enough, although my drafting is still a little too uneven for my liking with a surprise bump or two in the thread as a result.

a stitch in time said...

Yay for this technique - and it's truly funny we started at about the same time.
How about a little video of yourself, in the spinstats group in Ravelry, and we can compare techniques?