Thursday 4 September 2014

Norse Garment Patterns - you want this.

Yesterday I received an e-mail telling me about a free e-book from one of my lovely colleagues... and that did make my day.

It seems that Aarhus University Press is doing a "free e-book of the month" series, which I had never heard of before. And this month's offering is the book Medieval Garments Reconstructed: Norse Clothing Patterns by Lilli Fransen, Anna Nørgård and Else Østergård.

I did not own the book before, since I have "Woven into the Earth", and much of the content regarding the general information (textile techniques, weaves, stitches, ...) is similar or the same in both, with WitE having more info. What WitE does not have in such an extent, though, is the patterns as taken from the original garments, including those of hoods - and these are published in MGR.

Aarhus Press? Thank you. With this, I'd guess that you have made a lot of folks really, really happy. Including me.

2 comments:

Phiala said...

Thank you for that info! I have promptly disseminated it very widely. :)

I have the book, but a spare ebook is always useful.

Jennifer Hansen said...

I have both book and now my Dear Husband has downloaded MGR onto his phone. Woohoo a working copy and a shelf copy for me.